Friday, July 10, 2009

Ugh...this class is full of teachers

I took a course this week on how to teach an Advanced Placement test. Unlike my other education courses, which are a nice mix of current and future teachers, this class has nothing but current teachers. Some of them have been teaching for several years, and many of them are taking this class simply because someone else is paying for it.

Growing up with parents as teachers, I remember hearing stories about how teachers are the worst students. I always found this contradictory and assumed it to be untrue. After all, we spend nine months of the year standing in front of a group of students; surely, we would exhibit proper classroom behavior when seated on the other side of the desk. Sadly, this isn't the case. I wish my classmates were my students, so I could have told them...

"Sally, would you please hang up your cell phone? The people sitting behind you do not need to hear what you're having for dinner tonight."

"Davey, we'll have plenty of time for breaks later. Leaving class six times in one morning for vending machine snacks is unacceptable."

"Suzie, when I said you could take a free book, I meant A free book. Please return the other five."

"Sally and Suzie, please hold your conversation until the end of class. At the very least, try a whisper on for size."

"Stevie, you're an hour and a half late. That's five tardies in a row, mister."

And the list goes on and on...and on. This class made me eager for September when I'm the only teacher in the room again.

4 comments:

carolmom said...

Ah, yes! I am sure you thought that teachers would behave the way they'd expect their students to do. Sorry, my dear. Your parents never lied to you (Santa doesn't count). And teachers, indeed, are the worst students! This was a nice laugh at the end of the day, though.

Rebecca said...

REALLY?! Those were the teacher-students?!

Rachel said...

Yes! All the students in the class were teachers. Ridiculous.

Unknown said...

At the conference in San Diego some teachers were stealing at the booths...how sad is that! When they tell you take one book...that does not mean take eight for your friends.