In honor of this evening's closing ceremonies, I present one last installment:
During boxing...
"What was that? I feel like I just watched an Abbott and Costello routine, and I still don't know who's on first."
During women's speedwalking...
"Right now, she knows she's the best walker in the world." I think we had more fun laughing at this event than at the announcers (though that statement is pretty ridiculous). At one point, Matt asked, "What's next? Olympic speedcrawling? Do you have to be the best crawler before you can be the best walker?"
During rhythmic gymnastics (floor exercise with hoops, batons, ropes, etc.)...
Announcer 1: "After doing this routine in practice last night, this team was very happy."
Announcer 2: "And that's a very good thing, considering they all had ropes in their hands."
Bob Costas...
"And so, both the men's and women's 4 x 100 relay teams have laid a giant egg here in the Bird's Nest."
4 comments:
You know, I like the Abbot and Costello allusion. One thing they should mention is the number of problems those walkers have later in their lives. . . much more than most athletes. The silver medalist for the men this year is from Cuenca, Ecuador, where my students are from. He won the gold last time, I believe. Small world, eh?
How good can you get at speedwalking before you're just a slow runner?
Actually, there are very strict speedwalking rules to keep them from becoming "slow runners." You can't lift both feet off the ground at the same time, and your front leg has to be bent a certain way while you walk. We saw one woman get thrown out for lifting both feet.
I can see why so many speedwalkers have problems down the line! The way they were bending their knees and hips just wasn't natural.
Two things:
Is there really speedwalking? Wow. Wow wow wow. And they are getting rid of baseball and softball?!
Second, I heard that Bob Costas comment about laying a giant egg as he said it. I think there were some other snarky comments in there, too, that were so unlike him. I laughed out loud.
Post a Comment