Like so many others, Matt and I are hooked on the Olympics. One of our favorite spectator sports has been laughing at some of the bizarre comments from the announcers. These are a few of our favorites:During women's volleyball...
Announcer 1: "The Chinese are trouncing the Japanese today."
Announcer 2: "Absolutely. The Chinese have, indeed, taken the Japanese out behind the woodshed."
During women's gymnastics...
"What a moment for her. Her spirit is literally rising." That paints an interesting mental image. No wonder she could jump so high!
During weightlifting...
"He is now lifting the weight of a refrigerator. And not one of those mini-fridges either. A full-size refrigerator. With food in it."
I'm sure more will come.
6 comments:
This is so much fun. I am using your notes in my English immersion class. We are going to, next week, look at a list of idiomatic expressions in English. Sports is just full of them, don't you think?
Sports cliches are the absolute worst! Even more irritating, though, is the use of sports cliches in everyday conversation.
I do have to say, however, that learning a few sports idioms can make it seem like one knows what one is talking about. Matt and I went mini-golfing once, and I said, "Drive for show, putt for dough." I've never been golfing a day in my life, but I sounded like I knew what I was talking about. :)
I'm not sure if you're familiar with comedian David Cross, but download his bit on the misuse of "literally" in sports. Sports announcers are just moronic athletes with a mic shoved in front of them, pretending to know what they're talking about.
Literally vs. figuratively is a whole post in and of itself. I could literally write for a year on the topic.
p.s. I LOVE David Cross.
Check out Josiah's comment on the Olympic's issues. I can't say that I disagree with what he has posted. It sure is interesting. Now I know what people thought of the US a few years ago.
Oh that is GOOD. You even made Andrew laugh!
Hey, off topic - will you educate me on how to insert cool images like your Olympic rings?
Post a Comment