The first time I tried it, I had the oven set 100 degrees warmer than it should have been. I blamed that on the old, practically illegible recipe card my mom had. The second attempt a day later, however, was even more painfully unsuccessful, mostly because I had only myself to blame. I used the wrong Kitchenaid attachment, and I ended up with so much air in my batter that the cake puffed up in the oven to the point that it overflowed the sides of the pan. I also used a springform pan that was too small, so an already precarious kitchen situation became an outright kitchen disaster. But it didn't end there.
Instead of scooping up all the bits of cheesecake that had landed on the bottom of the oven (and hardened, thanks to the "cook it for an hour and a half and leave the door closed and don't you dare open it for anything!" rule), I decided to turn the oven to "clean" the next day. I don't know if I thought that a self-cleaning oven actually scraped the chunks of stuff from the oven, or if I just didn't want to know. Either way, when I locked the door and set the oven to "clean," all those bits of greasy cheesecake went up like a bunch of Roman candles. Smoke was shooting out the back of the oven, Barley was barking at the stove, and at some point, there was a rather large explosion. I turned the oven off and tried to open the door to air it out, forgetting that the oven door locks for quite some time after being set to "clean." I opened windows and brought in auxiliary fans, but the smoke was too much. I took Barley to the basement, but it was still too strong. My eyes were burning and he was rolling around on the carpet, rubbing his face. So we went outside, where I contemplated whether to wait it out or call the fire department to bust into my oven and put out what was, in my imagination, a raging inferno of cheesecake. Ultimately, we waited it out, sitting on the front step and chatting with curious neighbors until the fire in the kitchen went out.
As easy as it is to laugh about it now, last year's disaster was more than just a culinary failure. This recipe was something I should have been born knowing how to make! I think it took me a year to try again not so much because I nearly burned down our house, but because I was failing a long line of Lapp women. I must've channeled them better last night, because the end product came out beautifully (as evidenced by the fact that half of it is now gone, though Barley played a hand/paw in that one):

Oh, what sweet, delicious success!
4 comments:
Oh no! Considering the oven is designed for high heat, and couldn't contain the fire, that's saying something! Note to self... no grease-based cheesecakes in the future.
A hometown choir teacher, laden with hair spray, once stuck her head in an oven causing an explosion that left her with one bald head and one hearing aid!
It looks wonderful! Nana and Aunt Ethel would be proud! Congratulations! I just might find a reason to bake one now.
Oh, that is awesome. I had no idea you had such a blowout last year. Hilarious! And now I'm hungry because this year's success looks great!
It was a wonderful tasting cheese cake. I am looking forward to trying another piece later tonight!
Post a Comment