Saturday, July 12, 2008

Gone Fishin'

Minnesota Public Radio's Morning Show used to play a song that went something like this:

The best part of fishin' ain't the fish, but the fishin'.
The best part of lovin' is the love.
The best part of doin' most anything you're doin',
Is doin' it with all of your heart.

That pretty much sums up the fishing trip Matt, Barley and I took this morning. We didn't catch anything, but we had a great time lounging together by the water.

Okay, I lounged:


Matt actually did some fishing (with his brown, furry assistant):

When his brown, furry assistant saw that we weren't catching anything, he decided to do a little hunting instead. Barley ate literally anything he could find. And I don't mean that in the annoying I-said-literally-but-I-meant-figuratively kind of way: "I literally exploded." I mean Barley ate anything and everything on the beach. We started keeping track; this is a small list:

Doggie treats
Part of Matt's bagel
Part of my bagel
Bait (who doesn't love a good bloodworm in the morning?)
Grass
Weeds
Bugs (the ones he actually caught anyway)
Rocks
Dead birds (guts and/or skeletal remains)
Dead fish (see previous parenthetical reference)
Crabs (with or without shells)
Snails
Unidentified guts and/or food
A lizard (almost)

I took a couple pictures of things he either ate or tried to eat. Yummy:


And I let that dog kiss me?! Yes. Yes, I do.

5 comments:

Anna said...

Dogs and the crazy crap they eat! I can understand the skeletal remains of birds, the fish and the innards of animals. But rocks? What's with rocks? Stella chews on them ALL the time. I'm always afraid she's gonna break a tooth.
I love that you guys made a list...

Josiah said...

You can listen to "The Important Part of Fishing" (by Mollie O’Brien, Ben Winship and David Thompson) about 1:40 into the July 27, 2006, broadcast of The Morning Show!

http://www.publicradio.org/tools/media/player/minnesota/radio/programs/morning_show/2006/07/27_ms1

Rachel said...

Wow...I haven't heard that song in years. Thanks, Josiah!

carolmom said...

I miss Rascal! :-(

Rachel said...

Thinking about a dog eating worms, guts and rocks makes you miss Rascal? :)

Anyway, she was far too ladylike to do that. She could have taught Barley some class!