Historically, the sisters in this order were teaching sisters, and many of them began their careers in the classroom. They're all very proud and excited that I'm going to be a teacher, and they've all offered their advice (solicited or otherwise) from decades of experience. Their mission statement, "transforming the world through education," is displayed everywhere, and it's something that they all try to live out in their ministries and daily lives. As a gift, they gave me this beautiful paperweight with the inscription: "Rachel Scherer: 'Transforming the world through education.'" I will treasure it always.I wish everyone who has negative impressions of the Catholic church could come meet my nuns. They are so open-minded, so loving, so accepting. One even has a bumper sticker that says "Green is Groovy." In fact, if the Catholic church was run by sisters instead of cardinals and bishops, I think it would be much better off. "This is most certainly true!"
2 comments:
I wish I could have met them.
You certainly were blessed, Dido. Srs. Mary Martin and Emma would fit into your group. "This is most certainly true." :-) And you are right about the upper echelons of the Catholic (not small c) church! Look at the history of religion sometime and see how women have been systematically eliminated--and not just from the Catholic church.
Post a Comment