But Matt's gonna lose.
At the beginning of this baseball season, Matt and my dad made a bet on the seasons of the Twins vs. the Orioles. Matt loves to talk up the O's, but he's never willing to put his money where his mouth is. My dad accused him of not having faith in his team (some might say he badgered him), and Matt finally caved.
The bet is simple: The team with the best record at the end of the season wins. Matt tried to negotiate some wiggle room based on the two teams' past records, but to no avail. I believe my dad's exact words were, "Well, if you don't really believe in your team, we don't have to bet at all." The loser has to buy the winner a jersey from the winner's team.
Now, at the All-Star break, the Twins are 53 and 42--11 games above 500 and a game and a half outside of 1st place. The O's are 45 and 48--three games below 500 and ten games outside of 1st place. Maybe Matt can get his Brian Roberts jersey next year.
8 comments:
Shame shame shame on Matt! Booooooo! You got what you deserved.
Thank you for getting the Twins "fight song" stuck in my head this morning. (At least it is not quite as ridiculous as the Mets' fight song, which I only know from the lampooning of Mr. Met on Conan O'Brien. Either way, it is so, shall we say, uncool to have a fight song for a professional sports team.)
Excuse me while I dash off to put something on the MP3 player that's a little more conducive to getting things done. And while I apologize for completely ignoring the point of the post.
Rebecca, he even threatened to wear his O's shirt to our annual Twins games at Camden Yards. I told him he can sit with the other losers if he wants to do that.
Abbs, did you know there's a second verse to that song?
There is? One would think that I should know it, as I had it on 45 when I was small. But I don't.
(Matt must not have been a very dedicated Twins fan before you guys moved. "Who would drop his team like that?" asks the woman who wears her Twins cap with her Cardinals t-shirt to Busch Stadium.)
Never EVER bet against the Twins. They consistently overachieve every single year with supposedly less talent, and certainly less money, than most ballclubs.
Matt, if you show up Sept. 12th wearing orange, I am going to beat you black and blue!!!
I am in complete agreement with Austin - you never bet against the Twins.
They are, as they say, the Hometown Team. And usually surprise you when you least expect it!
Matt's argument is now that we're in Baltimore, the O's are our "hometown team." Of course, he detests the Ravens and still cheers for the Vikings.
This is how I hoped the bet would turn out...since the Twins are in a weaker division, I thought that they could have a worse record than the Orioles (even just a game or two) and still win their division. That way, I wouldn't have to pay for a jersey, and my team would still head to the post-season. No such luck.
I was feeling a bit guilty until I read some of the other comments. A man should never feel badly about supporting his team. Somehow, I don't remember browbeating Matt into this bet like your blog implies.
Post a Comment