
Happy birthday, Pescetarian and Soju! Today marks your birth into the American lexicon.
CNN ran a story today about some of the many new words Merriam-Webster added this year. Many of them aren't too much of a surprise--words inspired by cooking shows (edamame and prosecco, for example. Thank you, Food Network), as well as words inspired by wars and conflicts (dirty bombs and Noroviruses. Thank you, George W.).
My very favorite, though, is a modern take on the malapropism--a "mondegreen," named for the oft-misunderstood lyrics, "laid him on the green" ("Lady Mondegreen"). The article mentions a few common mondegreens, but left out a few of my personal favorites:
"The girl with kaleidoscope eyes" ("The girl with kaleides goes by")
"Secret Agent Man" ("Secret Asian Man")
"In the Garden of Eden" ("Ina gotta davita")
Does anyone have any others?
2 comments:
I have to admit that it was American Idol and my buddy David Cook who made me realize that Duran Duran is not celebrating "disco and lime" but rather "discord and rhyme" in "Hungry Like the Wolf."
I probably have a thousand but don't know it, if you know what I mean!
Post a Comment