Friday, July 18, 2008

Caution: BookCrossing

Thanks to my researcher, Austin, for unearthing this one. He asked if I'd heard of "BXing," or BookCrossing. Similar to the Where's George? and Phototag sites, which track pieces of currency and lost cameras, respectively, the BookCrossing site tracks books as they change hands. Users are asked to write a specific "BookCrossing ID" on the inside cover of the book, then either hand the book to a friend or leave the book in a public place. The book is to continue changing hands until, in theory, an eventual recipient logs in to the BookCrossing site and reports on the book's journey.

In theory, I love the idea of people sharing their favorite books with each other. I have several gifted books on my "to-read" shelf, and I've passed several of my favorites to family and friends. What bothers me about BookCrossing is the idea of just leaving one of my favorite books on a park bench or in a shopping mall. Reading a good book is such a personal, emotional experience, I couldn't imagine just leaving a beloved favorite lying about. When I give a book to a friend, I ask that person to pass it on to someone who she or he believes will enjoy it as we have. Giving a book without knowing something about the recipient is a completely abstract concept.

Of course, not every book I read is worthy of sharing with family and friends, nor do I want every book to take up permanent residence on my bookshelf. Maybe I'll BookCross that unabridged copy of Les Miserables that I haven't had the resolve to just throw in the trash.

3 comments:

carolmom said...

. . .or maybe you should send Les Mis back to London! :-)
Yeah. . I couldn't just leave a book unless it was one I wanted to get rid of. Then I'd probably take it to Half Price Books so I know at least it would get recycled. It's a neat idea, and it would be nice if it would work.

Julia said...

I love this website and I love the idea behind it, but I'm in agreement. I don't know if I could just leave a random book lying around. I'm very selfish with my books because I love reading things multiple times.

Rebecca said...

I sell my old books. I like the cash.