There was a great article by Anthony Stevens-Arroyo in the Washington Post yesterday about Obama, the "closet Catholic." I enjoyed it not because I think the nuns I work for would love a convert in the White House, but because it highlights the wonderful works done by religious charitable organizations. Too often we hear about zealous Christians proselytizing and preaching the "if you're not with us you're against us" gospel. But actually living the gospel isn't about pointing fingers and looking for ways to exclude people. It's about living life as Jesus lived it--by caring for each other and loving the least among us as if they were family. I'm glad that Obama recognizes the Catholic Charities model and all the great work it does to give life to Jesus' message.
With that said, I don't know if one needs to be a "closet Catholic" in order to know that the Catholic church does a lot of good for a lot of people. I was raised in a liberal Lutheran tradition, and I was nervous when I first began to work for a congregation of nuns that we'd never agree on social issues. But I soon realized that the "Pro Life" issue is such a tiny piece of their lives as faithful Catholics. I also learned that "Pro Life" includes an end to war and starvation, as well as respect for life once its grown and needs help. Many of my nuns, as well as many Catholics who don't get the press, are socially liberal people. They believe in living the mission of Jesus by helping one another, especially the poorest and most destitute among us. I'm no "closet Catholic," but I am inspired every day by the selfless work of my nuns, the people at Catholic Charities and millions of other unsung, liberal Catholics.
3 comments:
I feel like we get wiser with age. Just the fact that I recognize that wisdom comes with age means that I'm wiser. When I was 17 I didn't think that was the case. See how wise I've become since then?
There is a wonderful church in South Minneapolis--St. Joan of Arc. That church is the most liberal church, perhaps other than some Unitarian or others, that I know of. [Pardon the prep, my dear] Every year they have a service in conjunction with the gay pride festival. There, of course, has been much flap about it in the local media--especially Katherine Kersten, but that's another matter. Yes, liberals are everywhere...closeted or not!
I've just discovered your blog (and am trying to figure out how to make mine look anywhere near as cool--in my technologically-challenged sort of way) and am a bit behind. I have been laughing through your "Catholic" posts--I'm not so much a "closet Catholic" as I am a "pseudoCatholic"--just another term to throw out there :).
Post a Comment